Hi, I'm James T. Green. I'm an artist and designer living and working in Chicago.
Most people call me James, never Jim or Jimmy.
I only include the "T" because it's easier to Google.
I design for others and create art for a living. I have my art practice which explores race, culture and their relationship with technology. There's also my design practice where I mostly create things for screens. There's some print here and there too, and I'm learning more about designing for mobile apps. These two practices feed off one another, quite often. Here's some examples of my art and design work. I also write, because regardless what others say, people still read longform things online.
I love sharing interesting tidbits with others in a variety of ways. I write a weekly letter where I share thoughts and insightful readings, you can sign up for that here. Most of the time, I show my artworks in exhibitions, or I give talks. Here's where you can find my next event. Stop by and say hello. If you want to get to know me further beyond this little bio, these people wrote some very kind pieces about me.
As far as personal things go: I was born and raised in Joliet, Illinois. I enjoy my bike and been car-free for a year so far. There's nothing more I enjoy than good food, good drinks, good friends, and a nice Amtrak ride. I still use the oxford comma. Pizza is my favorite food and I'm a part-time vegetarian. I only own about 10 shirts and half of those are cardigans. Let's be friends.
Here's some quick facts.
• In 2013, I helped organize the Filter Photo Festival as one of their Production Assistants.
• My fianceé (C'ne Rohlsen) and I collaborate exclusively for performance art pieces.
• Through independent freelance, I've partnered with: 22nd Century Media, TEDxWindyCity, Black Girls Run, Soul City Church, Red Bike and Green, Briar Rabbit, Divyn Media, Iron & Wire, Filter Photo Festival's Image 37, Pop Up Addis, and other great people doing great things.
Need all these facts packaged nicely? You can download press items here.
Curious to know where I work?
I live with my amazing fiancée in the neighborhood of Pilsen. We converted an extra room into a working studio where the majority of things get done. You can also visit me at Autotelic Studios in Logan Square where I have additional space and collaborate with 8 other artists. Let's have a studio visit sometime.
Here's some events I have coming up.
• August 1st - September 30th, 2014: "How to Make A Hood"
@ Arts Incubator at The University of Chicago, Chicago IL, Group exhibition
• August 17th - 19th, 2014: "Weapons of Mass Creation Fest, 2014"
• August 30th - 31st, 2014: "11:11"
@ Kitchen Space, Chicago IL, Group exhibition
• September 13th, 2014: "Sacremento Second Saturdays Art Walk"
@ Jay Jay Art Gallery, Sacremento CA, Group video screening
Enough chitter-chatter, let's work together.
I love collaborating. I'm always interested in new projects, exhibitions, speaking opportunities, portfolio reviews, collaborations, commissions and any other questions you have. Whether it's art or design, let's make some great things.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day today.
All content © The Studio of James T. Green, 2008-2014
Don't steal my stuff or this will happen.